How do I setup my tablet, smartphone, or other mobile device?|
Before you start you need the following information:
- Your email address
- Your email account login or username
- Your email account password
The instructions below work for most devices. Refer to manufacturer's website for specific instructions for your device.
- Settings - Most devices have an icon for the "Settings" on the desktop. Select this choice
- Accounts - Under Settings, most devices have an option for "Accounts". Select this choice
- Account Type - Depending on your device, you might have an option hear to select the type of Account. Select "E-Mail" or "Mail" account if present.
- Usually there is a selection to create a new account, Select this choice.
- Email Account Type - When you add an email account, most phones will ask you the type of account. Typical choices include exchange, google, hotmail, and other. Select "Other"
- Email address and Password - Most devices will now prompt for your email address and password. Some will try to autoconfigure the email. This should fail. There should be an option to manually configure the settings. Select this choice.
- Imap or POP3 selection - The email server supports two types of connections. Most mobile devices will try to use imap to reduce the amount and time of the data transfer.
- Server Settings - The incoming server name is "mail.mi-co.net". Enter you email account login in the account name field. Usually it has already carried forward the password from the previous steps for the password field. It requires "normal password authentication". It does Not use SSL for this connection. If it requests the port number, imap uses 143, while pop3 uses 110.
- Verify Settings - Most devices will verify these settings before proceeding. If you can not connect, check the settings carefully. Usernames and passwords are case sensitive.
- Outgoing or SMTP Settings - Once the incoming account is verified, you need to setup the outgoing or smtp account. The server name is "smtpauth.mi-co.net". It does require "authentication". Select "Use the same login and password as your incoming server" for the type of authentication. The connection does require "SSL/TLS" for the security type. The port number is typically 465. Some devices require 587 for the port. Try 465 first. Then verify the settings.
- Certificate Error - Some devices will complain about not being able to verify the certificate from the server. Ignore this warning and tell it to use the certificate any way.
- This should complete your setup.
Note: If you have more than one device checking your email account, it is possible to occasionally receive connection errors. During the period of time your mailbox is being altered, the server places a lock on the box until the changes have been completed. In normal operations, this is less than a fraction of a second. Howeve, mobile devices take much longer to do these transactions, than pcs connected to a network. In the event of a connection failure, many devices including most windows pcs will prompt you to enter your password again. If your stored password previously worked, do not enter it again. Just clear the error and attempt to connect at a later time.